Mum warns parents against holiday henna tattoos after son is scarred for life


by Emma Dodds |
Published on

A mum has warned other parents against letting their children have henna tattoos whilst away on holiday as they may have a skin reaction just like her son did.

Alexandra Luckett, 41, was on holiday with her husband Jonathan, 39, and their children - Charlotte, nine and seven-year-old Theo in Bulgaria.

As a treat, they let little Theo have a rather sizeable henna tattoo of a tribal symbol which took up most of his upper arm - but they weren't prepared for what happened next.

Theo chose a design from a book and was inked at a market stall in the Bulgarian town of Sozopol, whilst his sister had another at a stall next door.

However, it wasn't long before his parents noticed that the skin on his arm started to blister.

Theo's reaction has only gotten worse since coming home - and he may be scarred for life (Credit: SWNS) ©SWNS

Not only that, but the patch on his arm swelled up and the tattoo began to go yellow and oozed overnight.

Alexandra and Jonathan immediately rushed him to a pharmacy, and the staff there diagnosed the little boy as suffering from a potentially fatal allergic reaction.

Alexandra said: "Straight away I feared the worst.

"It brought it all back as Theo has an egg allergy and a few times we have had to get ambulances as he has been close to anaphylactic shock.

"His arm looked terrible. The other night he woke up crying as it was so itchy. I have been told he may be scarred for life. Getting the tattoo was meant to be an enjoyable activity and I feel awful as a parent this has happened.

"There were lots of children there and I am wondering if any of them have been affected too. I just want to warn parents of the dangers."

WATCH: The Loose Women Rant About Holidays With Young Children

Whilst Charlotte's tattoo has begun to fade as they returned from holiday over a week ago, Theo's is still very painful and now has to have a strong prescription steroid cream.

The doctor also revealed to Alexandra that if Theo ever went near the henna tattoo chemical para-phenylene diamine (PPD) ever again, it could have a more serious ending as it can cause people to stop breathing.

Alexandra added: "Theo's skin is very inflamed and angry looking now but we have been very lucky and it is starting to heal.

"It's not infected - the doctor said he was lucky. The PPD can cause the anaphylactic shock."

Will this make you reconsider whether to let your children have a henna tattoo on holiday? Let us know over on Facebook and Twitter.


Shocking images show three-week-old baby's severe chemical reaction from Asda's nappies

This woman suffered an allergic reaction from an eyelash treatment and the result was awful

Acne horror stories and how they were cured

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us