Nicki Hunter found 19-year-old Keiren passed out in her living room, after he drank three bottles of spirits as part of the latest neknominate craze.
The student from Preston had accepted a dare to film himself downing a deadly mixture of vodka, whisky, Southern Comfort, Bacardi and sherry.
“I wanted other parents to know what their kids are doing"
Fearing her son was dead or dying, Nicki placed him in the recovery position.
She then posted the shocking picture on Facebook, where it has already been shared 28,000 times.
She said: “I wanted other parents to know what their kids are doing.
“It was horrendous – he could have died.
“I didn’t know if he was breathing so I checked him then put him in the floor in the recovery position.
“Then I dragged him into the bath and hosed him down and he just kept saying sorry mum.
“I gave him a talking to when he woke up this morning, and told him I’d put the picture on Facebook to embarrass him so he wouldn’t do it again.
“Other parents and kids need to know how dangerous this is.”
And Kieren understands why his mum posted the picture online, explaining:
“When I woke up I got a good telling off. I had a major hangover and a load of abuse on Facebook.
“I was really stupid, If I’d have known people had died from doing it then I wouldn’t have done it in the first place.”
Dr Evelyn Gillan, Chief Executive, Alcohol Focus Scotland said: “This young man could have choked in his own vomit.
“This reinforces the urgent need to stop this dangerous craze.
“Nominating friends to down large quantities of alcohol leads to dangerous situations as can be seen in this picture.
“The viral craze of Nekomination sweeping social media is of serious concern and is costing young people their lives.”