Mum issues warning about Mini Eggs after ‘daughter choked to death’

Mini eggs

by A Jakes |
Published on

A devastated mum has warned others about the dangers of Mini Eggs and claims that the Easter sweet treat caused her five-year-old daughter to choke and die.

Posting on, the mum told of the horrors of failing to save her daughter and urged others to ‘watch your babies'.

The mum wrote: "With Easter coming up I want to warn you all about another deadly choking hazard, one that tragically took away my child.

"It has been just short of three years since my precious little girl Sophie passed away she had choked on a mini egg and I was unable to dislodge it, even with back slaps and pushing up and under her ribs, I had done a first aid course only six months prior to this event so all the techniques to help a choking child were still fresh in my mind but it didn’t help.

"I watched the light slip away from my baby's eyes, I tried in vain to save her.

"Sophie was 5 1/2 so not a tiny tot yet this seemingly harmless treat took my angel away

She added: "If your children enjoy these chocolate treats please watch them extra close and remind them to sit down whilst eating them or avoid them altogether."


One mum agreed that she thought Mini Eggs are dangerous and how the same tragedy nearly happened to her family. 'One wrote: "My twin girls are 14 years old now, when they were five one of them choked on a mini egg and for years after I could not let her have them.

"When I finally did they were cut in half and closely supervised.

"I’ve never forgotten it and even today when she has them I still have to remind her what happened all those years ago. So sorry for your loss.

Another added: "This happened to my son at around 4 years old. Fortunately i managed to get it out with the Heimlich manoeuvre as the back slapping wasn’t working.

"I remember his lips were turning blue. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.

"He was eating a small box of the mini eggs and he was tipping them into his mouth and one got stuck.

"I now always tell my children not to tip food into their mouth but to pick food up with their fingers and put food in their mouths.

Have you found Mini Eggs to be dangerous for little ones? Are there any other foods that should carry a choking warning? Let us know on Facebook or Twitter

Just so you know, whilst we may receive a commission or other compensation from the links on this website, we never allow this to influence product selections - read why you should trust us